Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Christians made me want to rob and burn

Lately, I've been listening to lots of music my friends think is crappy. I own that. I don't really think I need to defend my love of My Chemical Romance considering they have a religious following full of rabid cultists who would happily shove you down the stairs for dissing their beatific leaders. I probably won't be shoving anyone down the stairs over The Black Parade, but that's only because I'm too busy texting my friends about Fall Out Boy.

Now, let me tell you about this spectacular band, The Mattoid.

I was chatting with my friend Moriah
about Jay Reatard (more about him in a sec) and she linked me to The Mattoid. Has anything from Finland ever been FAIL? No, I say NO! Of particular interest is the song "Burn and Rob" in which the lyricist details his experience of purchasing a Christian record only to find that it has morally bankrupted him, turning him into a reprobate obsessed with sex and violence. Further explication I feel is unneeded (click or die, infidel!).

Now about Jay Reatard. He's recently signed with Matador and promo-touring with The Black Keys. The only reason I care is that he's from Tennessee. You might care because you love '90's-era retro Britpop influenced garage music. That's an endorsement, by the way.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

you had me at "touring with the black keys"

mimi said...

Why do I try new things? I think I just leave a comment in reply to yours? This technology is lacking.

Hi, Jenn!

Unknown said...

Yes, only there's no email notification for us lurkers, so we have to be diligent. Fortunately, you're worth it.

Oh wait. There's a new clicky that will do that now...yayes.

mimi said...

Ten,

I set up an rss feed on lj, I just don't know how to link to it anywhere here because I am one of the slow kids who're lucky to know how to turn a computer on.