Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Six Car Garage

Mimi and I are sitting here in Austin at the Taco Cabana on Riverside looking out over Lake Austin, frosty margaritas in hand as we contemplate the SXSW lineup...okay, well we would be if we were there. But since we're not, here's who'd we be seeing if we were smart enough to actually plan a trip to Austin. It's not like JD has family there to crash with or anything...oh wait. Shit. We fail again.

So here's some damn music, in any case. And if you're there in Austin this week, drink a Shiner for JD.

Mimi's Picks:

(I’m listening to Jeffery Foucault and wish there was an option to talk about him some, but I guess I should do that on the other blog, but still Jeffery motherfucking Foucault, people!)

Narrowing my list down to five was nearly impossible. My actual list is 24. JD told me “NO!” and I made a face but agreed to not be self-indulgent (Why? That’s what I do, isn’t it?). I left off, therefore, people I’ve seen before/am simply curious about and went with acts I know for a fact I like and want to see.

Ed Harcourt: This is one of the many, many artists that was foisted on me by a friend of mine in LA [Not me, the other one – JD] who is the biggest music snob I know and like. The second part is important. I trust her since when our tastes converge they are like conjoined twins of music obnoxiousness (ok, I feel that one got away from me.) He’s the sort of singer/songwriter dude that anyone who knows me would expect me to like. There’s a good little collection of songs on his myspace. I suppose he’s in the vein of Rufus Wainwright in that he plays the piano, but his songs make more sense and his voice isn’t as nasal.

Billy Bragg: I really don’t even know what to say if you don’t know who Billy Bragg is. I’ve never managed to see him live, so this show would be a treat for me. I’ve loved him since I was a kid — I mean actually a kid kid. [I thought you were brought forth from the sea foam riding on a wave? – JD] There isn’t much more to say about this (aside from woe is me for not knowing he was playing, I might have really gone).

I had to juggle the list a bit. I had Earlimart, I realized I would see them when I move to LA.

N.E.R.D.: It’s N.E.R.D., dude! I realize I don’t have much explanations for the acts I want to see besides DUH. That’s not very clever writing. How do I explain Pharell and Chad to someone who (at this juncture) has never heard of them? I feel like you’re already a lost cause anyway, so listen to your Abba CD.

Matthew Good: I’ve loved Matt Good for years. He’s self-involved and pretentious and overwrought and I love it! He used to have this tour blog (years ago) where he wrote all these fake stories about what the band was doing on tour, and it cracked me up so hard (example: carding yak fur.) I’ve never managed to see him live after all this time.

Talib Kweli: Ok, maybe I wouldn’t, just because the audience would be so wretch and I would have to brave all the tragic hipsters seeing N.E.R.D. !!! Ok, Talib OR N.E.R.D

Basia Bulat: For one, her website is kick ass (the myspace will take you there). I really like her sound and am curious how that translates live. I like promoting Canadians, as is well-established. Here's the CBC Radio 3 podcast all about SXSW that includes her (and tons of other acts).

JD's picks:

Decidely different offerings than Mimi's, I apparently need a girl in my band to want to see them live now. Considering the utter lack of girls in Rock-n-Roll proper these days, I don't think that's a bad thing. I'm fond of the saying "Rock out with your cock out." It's how I often like my music. So here's five make-your-dick-hard picks that prove you don't actually need one to do so.

Autolux: Autolux is my personal story of Los Angeles in band form. They formed just before I moved here in '01, and had catastrophic setbacks in '04 when drummer Carla Azar fell off the stage opening for Elvis Costello and broke her arm so epically, she was told she'd never play again. '04 wasn't quite that tragic for me, but it was a doozy. But like Carla and her titanium elbow, I came back and so did they, moving on to open for NIN on the With Teeth tour in 2005 and this year, they're playing their second Coachella in April. Look out for their second studio album later this Spring.

The Ettes: Hey look! Another LA band, go figure. You know, on this one, I'll just let the music speak for itself. Clicky clicky, fair readers. [Why are you picking bands you could just walk up the street and see? You are failboating on the idea of destination concerts. ~Mimi]

Girl in a Coma: So, okay. When I was a wee girl in a galaxy far far away, a galaxy named South Texas, this is the band I dreamed of creating. Three girls from the land of puffy tacos [Um....? This is a family blog! ~Mimi] (San Antonio, that is) that bring a sound that made Morrissey cry and folks in the UK say "yes, we will produce you right the fuck now." Listen and love.

Pink Nasty: [This was one of my picks. If you've never heard the cover of "Burn" by Usher, email me about piracy. ~Mimi] Pink Nasty, known as Sarah Beck (no relation to that other Beck) to her mother, is the culmination of a long history of singer/songwriter types in Austin. She's an incredible mix of pop irony and soulful melodies that tell stories of love and loss, with a touch of humor that reminds me of something my grandfather used to tell us kids as we sat at his knee - "If you can't laugh, you cry."

The Ugly Beats: This is where I use my powers of the Internet to shamelessly plug a band to all three of our readers. Is lead singer/guitarist Joe Emery the godfather to my nephew? Yes, yes he is. But nevermind that. Listen to Jeanine's mean mastery of the keys that'll make you wanna dig your go-go boots out of the closet, tease your hair just right, and shake your moneymaker. This is truly TX garage rock at it's finest. [I feel you are implying that we're nepotism-free at Casa HCT, which is hilarity on a stick. Please, plug all relatives, bedmates, and people you shared a beer with at Bonaroo. ~Mimi]

No comments: